The Intercollegiate Pokemon League

Become Legendary.

Forums

Forum Home > Suggestions > New battle format

yindoxy

Hello all!  

I have a major suggestion that my team has been discussing throughout the season (all three of our tournaments) and we believe that we need to change to best 2-out-of-3 format for deciding which individual wins the match.  I know that for my last battle I, yindoxy, won possibly because there was a double Focus Blast miss against my Heatran and mongoosinator may have won had there not been a critical hit on his Kingdra.  The point of all other rules set into place is to reduce the amount of luck, so why not also help with the other game mechanics?  I know that crits, misses, and hax are part of the game, but I think that we need to reduce their impact on our matches.

Best,

Logan Herbort (yindoxy)

--

Umbreon, Y U IN UU?!?

October 7, 2011 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Switchsquatch

I'm kinda new to the forums, but in my opinion those 'hax' are the thing that really defines pokemon battles. Sure they suck, but you know the accuracy of the moves in the first place and you know the risk that comes with using low accuracy moves. There are ways for you to raise the accuracy of the moves (gravity teams, wide lens, not using them). Also, there is almost never only one-sided hax in a battle. Some are more important that others and can cause major shifts, but the little ones are also very important and might have influenced the play in ways no one can expect. 

I agree with you that a 2 of 3 format would allow for more fair battles in the long run. But, someone is always going to be unlucky, and when both players are playing ideal teams with set strategies it is going to come down to luck 90% of the time.

Just some thoughts.

October 8, 2011 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

yindoxy

As much as I agree with the luck factor (I play the card game, too.  It happens.), I believe that we need to reduce it to get a more accurate reading of the player.  I'm in favor of 2/3 for both sides of the game, though I do believe that it may eat up too much time.  This is probably a discussion for when the group grows larger, though.

--

Umbreon, Y U IN UU?!?

October 10, 2011 at 12:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Switchsquatch

Another thing to think about is the effects of knowing what the other teams pokemon are going to do. I know I use a lot of off sets that are designed to get easy kills on counters that are commonly switched into them. Knowing what he was going to do would cause my game to become incredibly difficult while makng it easy for my opponent to avoid the traps I set.

October 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

yindoxy

I understand, but it could also provide a great switcheroo for my Zoroark.

--

Umbreon, Y U IN UU?!?

October 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Webs Counter

PollDaddy